Meet the Lawyer
Rhode Island Attorney Craig Montecalvo
Attorney Montecalvo formerly served as a State Prosecutor for over 13 years in the Rhode Island Department of Attorney General. As a Special Assistant Attorney General later promoted to Assistant Attorney General, and then as Chief of the Washington County office of the Department of Attorney General, Attorney Montecalvo personally prosecuted several of the more demanding, technical, and high profile cases handled by the Department.
” I treat every client’s case with the same attention and sincerity that I would provide to a member of my family; I will deliver aggressive, individualized, hard-fought representation in every step of your legal process. “
About the Practice
RI Attorney Craig V. Montecalvo provides comprehensive, personal, and sophisticated services to clients in need of assistance on a wide variety of legal issues. A respected and successful Rhode Island trial attorney with extensive courtroom experience, Craig V. Montecalvo is uniquely equipped to utilize technical and practical legal skills on your behalf.
During the course of his distinguished career as a Superior Court Prosecutor, Craig V. Montecalvo was entrusted with the responsibility of managing a high volume case load comprised largely of capital and other priority matters including murder, sexual assault, child molestation, driving under the influence death resulting, burglary, robbery, domestic violence crimes, and felony drug offenses. Attorney Montecalvo has also practiced juvenile criminal law in Family Court, handled bail hearings and other criminal matters in District Court, and presented investigations and cases to the Providence County, Washington County, and Statewide grand juries.
Craig V. Montecalvo has compiled an exceptional record of success as a Superior Court trial attorney. He has tried over 25 felony cases, including 6 murder cases, to jury verdict and favorably settled hundreds of matters in the Rhode Island Superior Court. Additionally, Attorney Montecalvo has extensively counseled municipal and the Rhode Island State Police on a variety of legal matters, has provided Continuing Legal Education training to other criminal trial attorneys, and has defended the people of the State of Rhode Island in civil post-conviction relief claims.
With an undergraduate degree in business, and a graduate certificate in law and economics, Attorney Craig V. Montecalvo formerly served as an adjunct professor of Business and Contract Law at Providence College in the School of Business, and advises clients on a variety of business and legal issues. Attorney Montecalvo is also available to represent and advise clients on civil matters including real estate contracts and transactions, personal injury law, domestic law, probate law, and business contracts.
- Syracuse University School of Law. Syracuse, N.Y. Juris Doctor. 1996.
- Maxwell School of Citizenship, Syracuse University. Syracuse, N.Y. Certificate in Law and Economics 1996.
- Bryant College. Smithfield, R.I. Bachelor of Science 1993.
- Admitted to Rhode Island Bar in 1996
- Admitted to the Federal District Court, District of Rhode Island, in 1997
- Admitted to Massachusetts Bar in 1998
Special Lecturer: Business Law and Contracts. Providence College, School of Business. Providence, R.I. 2009-2018
Selected Cases tried by Attorney Craig V. Montecalvo and upheld by the R.I. Supreme Court
- State of R.I. v Jose Rivera (Sexual Assault). W1/06-0069A.
- State of R.I. v Eugene Texter (Sexual Assault). W2/04-0047A.
- State of R.I. v John Bergevine (Child Molestation). W1/04-0096A.
- State of R.I. v Albertino Baptista (Sexual Assault). P1/03-4123A.
- State of R.I. v Jack Ruffner (Murder). P1/03-0196A.
- State of R.I. v Eddie Linde (Murder). P1/01-3914AG.
- State of R.I. v Vincent Manning (Child Molestation). P1/01-1639A.